Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Introducing: GDisney

My flight is delayed two hours in LAX--I'm on 1.5 hours of sleep, 2 shots of caffeine, a bagel and a laptop. This is my Generation 2.0. As promised, we (read: Google) took Disneyland by storm, literal Blackberry, VPN-ing storm, married with nostalgic kiddie rides, a giant loopy roller coaster and an all night party in our little fake-home-away-from-fake-home. It only makes sense that the world's biggest corporate playplace would travel to simply the world's biggest playplace. Almost more amazing to me, though, is how many blogs find it newsworthy material that Google (O.M.G. Google) decided to take all its employees on a company-funded trip while stock prices were (gasp!) down. Hey, man, it's not our fault that the 'Soft decided to rain on everyone's parade.

As far as my personal experience with the trip, I was quite blown away. They shut down the entire complex (Disneyland AND California Adventures) from 8pm to 1am--free booze, free food, endless rides with no lines. We rode Space Mountain topless (well, my male teammates did) and the Tower of Terror (not brilliant with the aforementioned booze) and tried to do the Matterhorn right at the last possible minute with no luck. Someone told me Google is basically Stanford 2.o. That's fair. But, I'm happy here, and I guess that's the most I can ask for right now, provided complacency doesn't hit me hard and long.

Separately, I really really really hope Obama wins the primary. But, that might make me question quitting my job and moving to DC with the hopes of "MAAAAKING A DIFFFERENCE". Right now I'm doubting my ability to do that in any tangible way. Why I gotta always end these posts on a downer? Tonight we're recording the writer's commentary for Gaieites, then tomorrow i get to work in the SF office, then tomorrow night is LOST. LOST is my life.

No comments: