Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The Backdrifts

*First things first: the opinions expressed in this blog are mine and mine alone; they do not represent my employer in any way.*

When I envisioned this blog, I imagined witty and terse examination of working at a big tech firm, working right out of college, moving to a big city and adjusting. Perhaps it will be some or all of those things. I am somehow convinced that routinely maintaining a slightly self-indulgent recitation of my daily activities will make me a better writer three to four times a week. But the Google shuttle ride home is in fact the perfect place for a debrief, and I am thankful for it.

I have started blogs twice before, and I have no particular notions about the charmed nature of this one. But, if you feel like you need some context. Look here. Or even here.

Daylight Savings Time fucking sucks. Sure, it's an extra hour of sleep that ONE day, but then it just serves to slide the afternoon right out of my life all throughout the week. When I was at Stanford, and I happened to be driving around campus around 4:30 pm when the sun was low enough to be behind the trees, but bright enough to hit the dust dancing, I'd get so inexplicably nostalgic for nothing in particular. And of all my times alone at school, feeling nostalgic, those are the times I remember the best: buttery, chopped-up sun, my car and me, me and myself, my moments.

My roommate and I started talking last night (after seeing a special preview of The Kite Runner, an adaptation I actually liked better than the book, but I think I'm in the minority.) I realized, as people constantly challenged the fact that I didnt' like the book that much, that I don't actually read in a vacuum, and while sometimes I think that I am perfectly objective with profoundly astute and accurate observations, I am merely a chemical experiment when it comes to literature. Combine my enzymes with anyone's best fictional catalysts and the results are wild, varied and unexpected. And often just wrong. Regardless, it's a good flick. Remember I said that come January, when it actually comes out.

No comments: