Monday, November 19, 2007

No City For Young Women

So, I'm a free woman, and that's all I'm going to say about that. Long time coming and it feels good while it feels bad.

I saw No Country For Old Men last night, which, I gotta tell you, is one of the best movies I've seen in a long long time. My only qualification to that statement is that in many ways the movie didn't surprise me--I had read the book, I knew who was going to die and how, I knew who wasn't going to die and how they were going to get out of it, I just had to deal with the moments that made me jump. But, mostly it didn't surprise me because it was exactly how I pictured it. How often does that happen? The movie was exactly like the book laid it out to be. SO satisfying.

The city's my home now. I feel displaced when I'm not here, in my apartment, in my bed. This summer, when I was a waitress on Bainbridge Island, my bartender Hagen was telling me about buying a house with his wife. They had traveled the world together, lived in Hawaii and South Africa and Washington and always rented apartments and camped and he said "I feel like, in buying this house, I finally get it. Like people always talk about being 'home,' and I thought I understood that. But, then I realized that it's more than that. It's more than home, it's belonging somewhere. And this is it. I have that now." I'm not saying that this apartment in the Mission is my quintessential embodiment of home, but I feel like I belong somewhere cause my key fits and I dragged all that shit up the stairs and it's the first time I've ever paid rent in my life to a place that I didn't know exactly when I'd be moving out.

In less sentimental news, I ordered a Blackberry today for my job. It has a separate number so I can keep my work and personal lives separate; I realized that I was going to be organizing a lot of events and away from my desk a fair amount, and I didn't want to be hauling my computer around. But, after I'd ordered it, the facilities department sent me an email a couple hours later apologetically informing me that they no longer have the model in Titanium, but in Gold instead, and We're Sorry Ms. Severin, Will Gold Be Okay?? Hell yes, Gold will be okay. Why didn't you tell me Gold was available in the first place? We could have avoided this whole middle step. I can't wait for my bling to come calling. Beyoncé: you ain't got nothing on me.

No comments: